Pro Sports and Coaching | Jacques Ladouceur
Jacques Ladouceur is a former pro soccer player and the author of the nonfiction book Make Your Life Count, as well as his newer release for coaches and families, Raising a Pro Athlete.
In this episode, we talk about how sports were a part of Jacques's life growing up and his journey to going pro. He shares his advice for young athletes, coaches and parents alike, focusing on the issues of multisport participation, respect, nutrition, and supporting players' health.
Find out more and purchase Jacques's books here: https://www.amazon.com/Jacques-Ladouceur/e/B08VDMRMGY?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2&qid=1637260688&sr=1-2
Jacques was born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, and immigrated to New York City with his family in December of 1969. After playing for the US National Soccer Team for two years, he went on to play professionally for 11 years and was a member of six championship teams before he went into coaching and the business world. He has worked as an entrepreneur and has also consulted executives and managers of various companies; he is currently a business coach with Buffini & Company.
- 00:00 Intro.
- 2:03 How old were you when you moved to NYC?
- 5:49 When did you start playing soccer and did you play other sports as well?
- 8:06 Do you think it's beneficial for kids to participate in multiple sports?
- 16:51 How might we educate parents so they won't push their children to the point where they experience burnout?
- 21:14 What are your suggestions in terms of nutrition and healthy habits for young athletes?
- 30:23 How do you recommend they balance their sports with sufficient time for sleep and rest?
- 36:52 How can families and coaches help kids love the game?
- 41:14 What key takeaways do you want people to gain from your books?
- 46:09 Why are we seeing a lack of respect in sports, especially toward officials, and what should we do about it?
- 53:17 Based on your own background, what's the #1 piece of advice you would give to coaches?
- 57:24 Outro.
The interview featured on this episode of the Love What You Play podcast originally aired live on For the Love of the Game's Facebook page.