Buddy Check For Jesse | Lindsay Goulet & Rob Pallante
Lindsay Goulet is an advocate for Buddy Check For Jesse and Director of Exercise Programming and Education for Habit Lifestyle Medicine. Rob Pallante is a former NCAA Div 1 hockey player and the founder of Mindset Body Bank.
In this episode, we talk with with Lindsay Goulet, about how Buddy Check For Jesse came to be and how the organization has helped Lindsay's son Owen with his anxiety and talking about mental health with his hockey teammates.
Buddy Check For Jesse is a charity founded by Stu Gershman, a dad, sports medicine physician, and a volunteer youth coach, with the goal of de-stigmatizing, educating, and supporting our youth with mental health, through the power of coaches and sport.
We also discuss Rob's journey as a hockey player, his near-death motorcycle experience, and his professional business career, and how they all motivated him to become a mindset coach for high performance, conscious-minded athletes and individuals who are looking to develop an invincible mindset.
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:06 Why Lindsay is passionate about exercise for mental health and her son Owen’s experiences with mental illness.
- 06:51 Video of Owen’s story and how Buddy Check For Jesse helped him.
- 11:25 Owen’s approach to tackling his own mental health.
- 12:03 The socioeconomic pressures that shape us to build a stigma around mental health.
- 12:46 Where does the Buddy Check green come from and how Buddy Check helps coaches and athletes open the discussion of mental health.
- 16:56 How coaches often don’t get training to help kids with mental issues and the importance of open communication between coaches and parents.
- 18:53 How the COVID-19 uncertainty can benefit from Buddy Check and open communication.
- 21:18 Buddy Check’s transition from the hockey space to the multi-sport space and upcoming events.
- 24:30 Achieving charity status and having the ability to spread the message of Buddy Check For Jesse.
- 25:29 Basketball, lacrosse, and ball hockey events and partners.
- 27:01 Lindsay’s definition of mental health, and removing the stigma around it.
- 28:05 How to find Buddy Check For Jesse, access resources, donate, and connect with them over on social media.
- 29:16 Buddy Check’s role in our upcoming Mental fitness summit.
- 29:37 Outro.