2-4-1 Sports | Steve Boyle
Steve Boyle is widely recognized as the national leader in sport sampling and physical literacy in the United States. As a former Division 1 athlete and after nearly 30 years of counseling, teaching, working with children with cancer, athletic and life-coaching, as well as multiple entrepreneurial successes, Steve’s life mission is to leave a sustainable legacy that will allow every citizen to gain the ability, balance, confidence, desire and explorative nature to be physically active for life. Recognized by the Aspen Institute’s’ Sport and Society Program in the original Project Play report for his sport-sampling approach, Steve works tirelessly to combat specialization in youth sports and wants Physical Literacy to be as commonplace and as expected as reading literacy and numeracy.
- 0:00 Introduction.
- 1:30 Steve's story and 2-4-1 Sports.
- 13:30 Overexertion and injury from specializing in one sport.
- 22:35 Balancing school and sport.
- 31:35 Change in sport relationship as the pressure to specialize builds.
- 40:15 How COVID-19 affects in-person sports and camps.
- 48:22 How to spread the importance of playing multisport.
- 59:49 Outro.